Experienced software engineering leader at startups in
realtime collaboration, virtual worlds, enterprise, and games,
working on servers, APIs, tools, and infrastructure.
Work with kind, thoughtful people.
Provide and receive clear expectations and frequent, constructive feedback.
Leave in time to pick up my kids.
Software Engineering Manager, Infra-Eng
2020-04 — Present
San Francisco, CA
Senior Software Engineer, Infra-Eng
2019-06 — 2020-04
Software engineer on core Ruby on Rails monolith and other internal microservices, then manager.
Help architect application level sharding for the main API Ruby on Rails service.
Help plan / execute / review extraction of vertical services from monolith.
Help lead team refactor high throughput event webhook delivery service from MySQL to a scalable eventually consistent storage layer (Cassandra).
Create a new code review team and process ("Monolith Deputies") to maintain high code standards while keeping code delivery throughput high.
Help lead the team right after layoffs, through a pandemic, transition to remote work, transition to scrum, transitions of leadership, new formal review and leveling process, and other miscellaneous startup chaos.
Create a culture of accepting warmth and togetherness.
Backend / Services lead, twobird
, and other unreleased app prototypes.
Work: Auth systems, CRDT operation storage, continuous deploy automation, UI wireframe implementation. Tech: Typescript, React, Redux, Node 6, WebSockets, GraphQL, MySQL, Kubernetes on Google Cloud Platform, Google APIs, bash.
San Francisco, CA
2015-09 — 2016-05
Illustration tool for UI designers.
Led backend service production readiness for beta launch.
Helped prototype a realtime collaboration server.
Scripted AWS EC2 server config, rewrote deploy for horizontal scale,
setup monitoring and alerting in DataDog and PagerDuty.
Created policy and trained devs for 6-person on-call and deploy rotation.
5-person startup building PowerPoint collaboration and web presentation sharing.
"Full stack" work:
- Built dev env, test framework, login, error handing, Azure prod / dev parity hacks for web sharing app
- Wrote internal custom analytics data visualization system for collab backend
- Wrote our own python web framework (based on transparent WSGI use and functional programming)
- Coded and iterated based on user, management, and board feedback
- Designed product features / UX with team (and UX contract friend) in HTML, CSS, and JS
- Prototyped web presentation app; helped interest new investors, raise funding
- Prototyped version control delta transmission storage server
- Debugged performance for real time web UI network latency, page and image loading
- Built scripted "devops-style" intranet site with wiki, file, and code sharing
Software for hire and independent product development.
Designed and shipped Slackulator
which reads a twitter stream and estimates the amount of time required to read it.
Helped the virtual world Second Life
give several million residents
a good experience by working on backend system infrastructure software. Helped:
- Scale, stabilize, and simplify code in real-time distributed systems (web services, caching, SQL)
- Research, analyze, and report on data-intensive systems and problems, i.e. network latency
- Migrate a 200+ person team to the cross-platform build system CMake
- Develop and support an internal platform for automated software testing
- Debug and patch issues (internationalization, data loss, security, etc) found on Mac OS X, Linux, and Windows
using many languages (C/C++, python, PHP, perl, bash / bourne shell, etc.)
Mountain View, CA
System Discovery Engineer
2005-04 — 2007-05
Worked on BDNA Inventory
Wrote software (mostly perl) to communicate with operating systems & servers via many protocols to inventory hardware and software.
include Motorola, Kaiser Permanente, and US Navy.
Worked under Prof. John Laird converting the java SOAR editor VisualSOAR
to an Eclipse plug-in. Assisted with Mac OS X port of SOAR.
Wrote a cross-platform Codewarrior / Microsoft Visual Studio build tool (Sony Playstation 2 "Hunter: Wayward" and Microsoft Xbox "Hunter: Redeemer").
Created DVD layout and demo disc (Xbox "NBA Inside Drive 2003").